Skip to main content
Commissioners Court (CATAA-lyst) (Upcoming Agenda Items)

Healthcare & Housing, not handcuffs: It's time for a Diversion Center & CAFA

More
1 year 1 month ago #1037 by CommissionerAnn
Colleagues - I believe in the science that shows timely and continued access to healthcare and housing can disrupt the cycle of jail-street-hospital and provide stability for people living with mental illness, additiction and a history of homelessness and incarceration. Over the last decade, I have attended hundreds of hours of community meetings where local experts, advocates and family members including representatives from both healthcare and law enforcement agree that our community will be safer for everyone when people access the care they need in the community, not in jail.  I support the creation of a Travis County Diversion Center that will offer an array of services that helps people acheive stability and  connection instead of incarceration and isolation.  I commit to working with stakeholders to help answer the many questions about size and scope of services, points of entry, eligibility and equity, partnerships and funding details.  Also, the time seems right for Travis County to tackle a new central booking facility that's compatible with a diversion center and that accomodates counsel at first appearance.  I look forward to being involved in these large projects.  I am posting several edits to the resolution consistent with my comments here.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 4.490 seconds

TAX RATE: TRAVIS COUNTY ADOPTED A TAX RATE THAT WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S TAX RATE. THE TAX RATE WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 3.5 PERCENT AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $9.12.